Tarheel Chapter Governmental Affairs Chair, Scott Baranowski awarded the 2022 Engineering Practice Specialty Safety Professional of the Year at the Safety 2022 PDC.
ASSP’s practice specialties and common interest groups recognized members for their ongoing efforts and contributions to the Society.
The 2022 Tarheel Chapter Safety Professional of the Year was awarded to Heather White. Heather is a Master Ergonomist for the Ergonomics Center. She provides ergonomics evaluations, training programs and process development expertise to companies in a broad range of industries including manufacturing, food processing and packaging, semiconductors, biotechnology and the office environment.
Heather earned a BS in Applied Mathematics from Appalachian State University and a Master of Industrial Engineering from North Carolina State University. She holds a CPE certification through the Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics.
Heather has been a member of ASSP since 2010. She has served as our chapter secretary, president-elect, president, delegate and nominations and elections committee chair. During her term as president, Heather led the chapter to platinum status during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. She was instrumental in setting up the virtual meeting platform and was even able to facilitate virtual meetings for continuing education units (CEUs). Currently she is serving as the Region VI Assistant Regional Vice President- Member & Chapter Affairs.
Please join us in congratulating Heather on this well-deserved award!
Tarheel Chapter Nominations and Elections committee are pleased to announce the results of the election for the 2022–2023-chapter year.
President: Kara J. Van Blarcum
Vice President/President-Elect: Peter Boccardo
Secretary: Michelle Hyatt
Treasurer: David Consider, CSP
Congratulations to our newly elected leadership team!
On behalf of the Nominations & Elections Committee, thanks to everyone who participated in this year’s election process.
The Tarheel Chapter would like to extend the invitation to our members to volunteer for the Secretary position. This leadership opportunity is a great way to network with safety professionals in your area and help grow your local ASSP chapter. This elected opportunity is a three-year pathway through the presidency. Attached is the Secretary position description and below are the key responsibilities.
- Maintain and retain all chapter files, including minutes and correspondence, according to the chapter document retention guidelines
- Ensure that members receive timely and effective notices of all chapter meetings and functions
- Attend chapter general membership and Executive Committee meetings
- Record and distribute minutes of all chapter and Executive Committee meetings to chapter members and officers
- Ensure consistent and appropriate messaging across chapter communication channels (website, social media accounts, newsletter and other publications) in partnership with chapter communications chair and/or other chapter volunteers as applicable
- Assist chapter president in completing reports
- Assume duties of chapter treasurer when necessary
If you have interest in volunteering for this position, please contact:
Heather White, Tarheel Chapter Delegate and Nominations & Elections Lead, HStarr@ncsu.edu
Kara Van Blarcum, Tarheel Chapter Vice President, Presidentelect@tarheel.assp.org