Tarheel Chapter Governmental Affairs Chair, Scott Baranowski awarded the 2022 Engineering Practice Specialty Safety Professional of the Year at the Safety 2022 PDC.
ASSP’s practice specialties and common interest groups recognized members for their ongoing efforts and contributions to the Society.
Antea USA, Inc. (Antea®Group) is looking for ambitious, detail-oriented mid-level Health and Safety Consultants in Atlanta, Ga, Charlotte, NC, Boston, MA or New York City.
This position will support clients with the management and implementation of their Health and Safety programs. We desire an experienced candidate with demonstrated skillsets in areas such as: OHSMS Management Systems (ISO 45001), Written Program Development, Ergonomics, Training, and/or Industrial Hygiene, Process Safety Management, Machine Guarding, Laser Safety, Fall Protection, and Industrial Hygiene. Candidates with industry experience in the following industries are desired: Technology Pharmaceutical, Chemical, Oil & Gas, Bio-tech, and/or Manufacturing. Candidates with Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) certifications are a strong plus. In addition, strong organizational skills, as well as exemplary written and verbal communication skills are a must. Click to apply
The position is full-time with up to 30% travel anticipated.
Typical job assignments may include but are not limited to:
- Developing, writing, and implementation of health, safety, and environmental programs and procedures for a wide variety of industries; including manufacturing, technology, food & beverage, chemical, bio-pharma, oil & gas, and chemical.
- Prepare and review corporate and site-specific written programs, JHAs, PPE assessments, and other health and safety program elements.
- Conducting and/or reviewing industrial hygiene assessments for chemical and noise exposures; experience establishing an IH sampling program is a plus.
- Conducting health and safety auditing at client locations; requires an understanding of OSHA and EPA regulations and how they are applied within organizations.
- Experience with Process Safety Management regulations and auditing a plus
- Developing and presenting Health & Safety training modules. Experience with e-learning development would be beneficial.
- Experience developing and implementing EHS management systems such as OSHA VPP, OSHAS 18001 (ISO 45001), and ISO 14001 is desired.
- Performing ergonomic evaluations for job tasks. Experience with industrial ergonomics is a plus.
- Prepare proposals, project cost estimates and technical marketing materials.
- Participate in technical societies and organizations such as AIHA, NSC, and ASSP.
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Health & Safety, Industrial Engineering, Ergonomics, or related field.
- 5-10 years of experience working with organizational health & safety.
- Must have a deep understanding of OSHA regulations and their applicability. Further understanding of NFPA, DOT, EPA, and/or international health & safety regulations is a plus.
- The ideal candidate will have experience working in industry or consulting to manufacturing firms, pharmaceutical, oil & gas, or other general industry companies.
- ASP, CSP, CIH, or ARM certification OR 7+ years of industry experience is preferred.
- Experience with Process Safety Management regulations and auditing a plus.
- Experience developing and implementing EHS management systems such as OSHA VPP, ISO 45001 and ISO 14001 is desired.
- Able to work independently with an attention to details and manage multiple clients and projects.
- Must have a strong desire to talk with, influence, lead a team, and directly interface with multiple clients and stakeholders. Additionally, must be able to take direction and coaching from both clients and team members.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship, now or in the future.
- Compliance with any client requirements, including but not limited to COVID-19 vaccine mandates
- Potential employees must pass a company-paid physical examination, drug-screen and have a valid driver’s license and good driving record.
Antea®Group focuses on safety in all aspects of our operations, in the field, the office, and while traveling. The successful candidate must likewise consider safety as paramount and demonstrate a commitment to safety in all aspects of the job.
Physical Requirements / Work Environment – Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities, which may include the following:
- Sedentary to light work (typical office or administrative work)
- Frequently required to stand, sit and walk for extended periods of time
- Occasional lifting and carrying of low (under 25lbs) to moderate (25-49lbs) weight objects
- Repetitive motions: substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers (including reaching)
- Subject to inside environmental conditions (protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature change)
- Operation of a motor vehicle
Additionally, if you are assigned work in the field at client project sites you will need to complete a medical surveillance/fitness-for-duty examination and maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include the following:
- Medium to heavy work
- Subject to outside environmental conditions: heat/cold, wind, wet and/or humid, etc.
- Occasional stooping (bending body downward and forward), kneeling (bending legs at knee), crouching (bending body downward and forward) and climbing
- Frequent lifting (including push/pull, hold/carry) of light, moderate and possibly heavy weight objects
- Subject to hazards, including a variety of physical conditions, including but not limited to: proximity to moving vehicles, parts or equipment; exposure to chemicals; pressure (including noise); electrical hazards; biological hazards; excavation/trenching; confined spaces; elevated work; materials handling
- May be required to wear an air purifying respirator
Antea Group offers excellent benefits to its full-time and part-time employees including, but not limited to: medical, dental, and vision plans; 401(k); disability; life insurance; paid time off; and a comprehensive wellness program.
Antea USA, Inc. (Antea®Group) is an EEO/AA Employer
Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity and other protected categories
NO RECRUITERS PLEASE
NO VISA SPONSORSHIP AT THIS TIME
The 2022 Tarheel Chapter Safety Professional of the Year was awarded to Heather White. Heather is a Master Ergonomist for the Ergonomics Center. She provides ergonomics evaluations, training programs and process development expertise to companies in a broad range of industries including manufacturing, food processing and packaging, semiconductors, biotechnology and the office environment.
Heather earned a BS in Applied Mathematics from Appalachian State University and a Master of Industrial Engineering from North Carolina State University. She holds a CPE certification through the Board of Certification in Professional Ergonomics.
Heather has been a member of ASSP since 2010. She has served as our chapter secretary, president-elect, president, delegate and nominations and elections committee chair. During her term as president, Heather led the chapter to platinum status during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. She was instrumental in setting up the virtual meeting platform and was even able to facilitate virtual meetings for continuing education units (CEUs). Currently she is serving as the Region VI Assistant Regional Vice President- Member & Chapter Affairs.
Please join us in congratulating Heather on this well-deserved award!
Tarheel Chapter Nominations and Elections committee are pleased to announce the results of the election for the 2022–2023-chapter year.
President: Kara J. Van Blarcum
Vice President/President-Elect: Peter Boccardo
Secretary: Michelle Hyatt
Treasurer: David Consider, CSP
Congratulations to our newly elected leadership team!
On behalf of the Nominations & Elections Committee, thanks to everyone who participated in this year’s election process.
The Nominations and Elections committee are presenting the following slate for 2022-2023:
Kara J. Van Blarcum, President
Peter Boccardo, Vice President/President-elect
Michelle Hyatt, Secretary
David Consider, Treasurer
The Tarheel Chapter would like to extend the invitation to our members to volunteer for the Secretary position. This leadership opportunity is a great way to network with safety professionals in your area and help grow your local ASSP chapter. This elected opportunity is a three-year pathway through the presidency. Attached is the Secretary position description and below are the key responsibilities.
- Maintain and retain all chapter files, including minutes and correspondence, according to the chapter document retention guidelines
- Ensure that members receive timely and effective notices of all chapter meetings and functions
- Attend chapter general membership and Executive Committee meetings
- Record and distribute minutes of all chapter and Executive Committee meetings to chapter members and officers
- Ensure consistent and appropriate messaging across chapter communication channels (website, social media accounts, newsletter and other publications) in partnership with chapter communications chair and/or other chapter volunteers as applicable
- Assist chapter president in completing reports
- Assume duties of chapter treasurer when necessary
If you have interest in volunteering for this position, please contact:
Heather White, Tarheel Chapter Delegate and Nominations & Elections Lead, HStarr@ncsu.edu
Kara Van Blarcum, Tarheel Chapter Vice President, Presidentelect@tarheel.assp.org
Greg Santo is the 2021 Tarheel Chapter Safety Professional of the Year. Greg has over 50 years of experience in the safety and health field and has been an ASSP member for 16 years. He served as Tarheel Chapter President 2019- 2020, leading the chapter to Gold Level distinction. Thank you Greg for all you have done and will continue to do to make our chapter great!
Modernizing governance to strengthen ASSP’s future and increase member voice involves a transition from a House of Delegates to an at-large advisory group, empowering the Board of Directors to fully govern the Society. This shift would align ASSP with best management practices of today’s nonprofit professional organizations and enable the advisory group to inform and influence the Board.
Click here for information on how our current structure compares to the future structure created by this change.
The Tarheel Chapter WISE team was recognized for a 2021 Silver Distinction Award during a virtual event held at the ASSP Safety 2021 PDC in Austin, TX on September 13th. This is Tarheel’s fourth year in a row to receive WISE recognition. The core members recognized for the chapter were: Jennifer Law, Lesia Franzen, and LaQuandra Bass. Attached are photos from events held over the past year: The “Mid-Day Virtual Stretch Break” (led by Dr. Ali Hartman) & the “WISE Book Club”(with guest author, Abby Ferri).
The 2022 Region VI PDC Call for Speakers is now open! This conference will be held 9/14/22 – 9/16/22 at the Kingston Plantation in Myrtle Beach, SC. There are already quite a few speakers lined up, so sessions are limited. Don’t wait – submit your application before 12/1/21 for the 2022 Region VI PDC.