Industrial Hygiene Manager – Appalachian State University, Boone NC
Posted: Oct 07, 2019
Industrial Hygiene Manager
Please see Special Instructions for more details.
Please attach required documents: Cover Letter Resume List a minimum of 3 professional references in the application
Posting Details: Work experience or education that is NOT included on the application will NOT be considered when screening your application. Please include ALL work experience and education on the application to ensure that you receive the appropriate credit toward qualification for this position.
Position Summary Information
Classification Title: Environmental Health and Safety Professional
Working Title: Industrial Hygiene Manager
Location: Boone, NC
Job Category: 2
Position Number: 064861
Department: Envronmntl Hlth, Sfty & Emer Mgmt – 430400
Description of University: Appalachian State University, in North Carolina’s Blue Ridge Mountains, prepares students to lead purposeful lives as global citizens who understand and engage their responsibilities in creating a sustainable future for all. The transformational Appalachian experience promotes a spirit of inclusion that brings people together in inspiring ways to acquire and create knowledge, to grow holistically, to act with passion and determination, and embrace diversity and difference. As one of 17 campuses in the University of North Carolina system, Appalachian enrolls about 19,000 students, has a low student-to-faculty ratio and offers more than 150 undergraduate and graduate majors.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in physical science, biological science, environmental science/engineering, occupational safety, industrial technology or related discipline; or equivalent combination of training and experience. Some positions may require additional training, certifications, or licensure. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Special Note: This is a generalized representation of positions in this class and is not intended to reflect essential functions per ADA. Examples of competencies are typical of the majority of positions, but may not be applicable to all positions.
License/Certification Required: N/A
Essential Job Functions
- Serve as University Industrial Hygienist.
- Develop and manage a wide variety of IH-related programs that identify, analyze, and correct occupational safety and health issues.
- Programs managed include but are not limited to: Department of Homeland Security Chemical Facilities Anti-Terrorism Standard, Bloodborne Pathogens, Biological Safety, Chemical Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Indoor Air Quality, Asbestos, Lead Paint, Hearing Conservation, Respiratory Protection, Dangerous Goods Shipping, and EPA Community Right-to-Know.
- Serve on university committees to include but not limited to Institutional Biosafety Council and Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee.
- Provide consultative assistance to campus officials as needed.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required for this Position
- Strong analytical skills to include the ability to interpret and effectively communicate data to a wide variety of departments and constituents across the organization.
- Strong organizational skills with to prioritize, organize, and manage the successful completion of tasks and projects within set time and budget constraints.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to express ideas in a professional, open manner with faculty, staff, administrators, and campus visitors.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively and efficiently work independently with little oversight, as well as in a team structure with other professionals.
- Demonstrated knowledge of exposure monitoring, data collection, and data analysis to include sampling and analysis for dust, vapors, and other potentially toxic materials.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
- Thorough knowledge of current programs and best practices, policies, and processes as related to asbestos, silica, lead, mold and other related program areas.
- Thorough knowledge and skill in interpreting and applying applicable local, state, and federal regulations, standards, and guidelines.
- Ability to operate applicable technology and scientific equipment as related to the position.
- Ability to interpret building drawings, floor plans, and applicable construction drawings.
- Demonstrated knowledge of safety and regulatory compliance program creation and implementation as related to industrial hygiene programs.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of environmental health and safety, lab safety, and industrial hygiene.
- Ability to analyze existing policies and create new policies or procedures as related to program areas.
- Ability to manage an effective hazardous communication program.
- Ability to analyze and recognize job tasks, work areas, and laboratories for health and safety hazards, as well as effectively address or make recommendations to mitigate hazards.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and provide effective health and safety training in applicable program areas to a diverse community.
- Certification as CIH or ability to obtain within 1 year of employment strongly preferred.
- 3-5 years experience serving as college or university IH in conducting IAQ surveys and performing a variety of IH-related tasks, duties in occupational health fields.
- 1-3 years supervisory experience.
Type of Position: Permanent Full-Time
Appointment Type: 1.0
Work Schedule/Hours: Monday-Friday. 8:00-5:00 pm.
However, the nature of this type of work, special situations, and emergencies may require additional hours.
Number of Hours Per Week: 40
Number of Months Per Year: 12
Mandatory Staff: Yes
Physical Demands of Position: Majority of time spent in light to moderate work. Must be able to climb ladders and stairs; stoop, kneel and crawl; perform extensive walking; lifting and carrying equipment up to 25 lbs with or without reasonable accommodations.
Overall Competency Level: Advanced
Salary Grade Equivalency: GN13
Salary Range: N/A
Anticipated Hiring Range: $50,384 – $65,440
Required Functional Competencies to Successfully Perform Job Duties.
Communication: Communicates major investigation and actions, internal and external to the organization. Interprets regulations in technical area of expertise for others both internal and external to the organization, including the media.
Professional Knowledge: Oversees incorporation and implementation of local, State and Federal guidelines; stays current on trends in the industry; interprets and incorporates changes/updates to programs. Develops EHS policies addressing unique issues that are significant in scope in compliance with local, State, and Federal laws and regulations. Tracks emerging issues where limited information exists. Serves as technical expert and resource; may design and implement corrective action for non-standard situations/occurrences requiring immediate action. Applies in-depth knowledge and understanding of EHS principles, practices, and equipment to determine if proper methods and procedures are utilized and to assure compliance with Federal, State, local, and Industrial regulations. Develops, designs and uses specialized equipment for unique situations.
Program Supervision and Administration: Conducts audits of various program(s) administered by “lower level” practitioners; investigates difficult/complex situations that have significant consequence of error; determines and adapts procedures and/or practices based on a broad variety of regulations impacting assessment and corrective action. Manages emergency response; may provide technical expertise and/or assist other responding agencies. Manages an EHS program of some scope/impact or a variety of broad reaching programs; develops objectives; some budget responsibilities; professional authority/accountability to manage program. Analyzes and interprets data; provides direction for report preparation (internal and external to the organization). Conducts EHS assessments to determine impact and program effectiveness. Decision may have significant consequence. Serves as a technical expert and resource for building design and/or workplace procedures for a moderately complex facility for EHS concerns.
Pay will be commensurate with applicant competencies, budget, equity and market considerations.
Posting Details Information
Posting Date: 09/26/2019
Closing Date: 10/20/2019
Competency Level Statement: Management will only consider applicants who meet the required competencies.
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please attach required documents:
- Cover Letter
- List a minimum of 3 professional references in the application
Search Chair Name: Greg Bell
Search Chair Email: email@example.com
Disability Accommodation Information:
Individuals with disabilities may request accommodations in the application process by contacting Maranda Maxey, Director & ADA/504 Coordinator, at 828-262-3056 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicant Pool Preference: External (Post on the Web)
AA/EEO Statement: Appalachian State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. The University does not discriminate in access to its educational programs and activities, or with respect to hiring or the terms and conditions of employment, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, political affiliation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information or sexual orientation.
Diversity and Inclusion at Appalachian: Appalachian State University is committed to developing and allocating resources to the fundamental task of creating a diverse campus culture. We value diversity as the expression of human similarities and differences, as well as the importance of a living and learning environment conducive to knowledge, respect, acceptance, understanding and global awareness. Learn more at http://diversity.appstate.edu.
Background Check Statement: Any offer of employment to a successful candidate will be conditioned upon the University’s receipt of a satisfactory criminal background report.
Eligibility for Employment: Proper documentation of identity and eligibility for employment will be required before the hiring process can be completed.
Quick Link: http://appstate.peopleadmin.com/postings/23718